Hopefully, you’ve seen our notices (NOT-OD-22-195, NOT-OD-23-012), tweets, and previous Nexus posts (FORMS-H Coming for January 2023 Due Dates, Gearing Up for Transition to FORMS-H Application Forms, data sharing posts, genomic data sharing posts) regarding our pending transition to an updated set of grant application forms we refer to as FORMS-H and the implementation of new Data Management and Sharing (DMS) requirements. If so, you already know that you must use FORMS-H forms for grant application due dates on or after January 25, 2023 and that our forms and instructions have been updated to support the new sharing requirements.
The FORMS-H application instructions are posted, FORMS-H application packages are starting to show up on active opportunities, and it’s time to get to work on your applications.
This checklist will help you navigate the changes.
🗸 Use an application form package with a Competition ID that includes “FORMS-H”.
- Not sure how to identify the correct form version? See Do I Have the Right Forms for My Application?
- If you find you have started your application on the wrong form set, take advantage of copy features available in ASSIST, Grants.gov Workspace, and many institution system-to-system solutions.
- Read the Significant Changes section to become familiar with recent updates.
🗸 Determine if your proposed research is subject to the DMS policy.
- The policy applies to all research that generates scientific data (e.g., single and multi-project research projects and centers), but not to some other activities (e.g., training, fellowship, construction, conference grants, resources).
🗸 Develop a Plan for managing and sharing scientific data and submit this Plan within the funding application or proposal.
- Submit a single Plan per application using the new “Other Plan(s)” item on the PHS 398 Research Plan or PHS 398 Career Development Award Supplemental form. For applications also subject to the Genomic Data Sharing (GDS) Policy, address genomic data sharing considerations in your DMS Plan.
- Multi-project applications: include the DMS Plan in the Overall component only.
🗸 Estimate and request funds for data management and sharing activities if not already covered by the institution or other sources.
- Request “Data Management and Sharing costs”
- Modular budgets: use the Additional Narrative Justification attachment of the PHS 398 Modular Budget Form.
- Detailed budgets: include “Data Management and Sharing Costs” line item under F. Other Direct Costs “8-17 Other” on the R&R Budget Form.
- Multi-project applications: at least one component must include a “Data Management and Sharing Costs” line item with either all DMS costs incurred, including personnel costs (e.g., personnel who will be curating data for the project) or 0 if no cost is incurred.
- Justify DMS costs and provide a brief (half page or less) summary of the DMS Plan within section L. Budget Justification in a section titled “Data Management and Sharing Justification”.
- Modular budgets: use the Additional Narrative Justification attachment of the PHS 398 Modular Budget Form
- Detailed budgets: use the Budget Justification attachment of the R&R Budget Form.
- Multi-project applications: include a justification within any component that includes the “Data Management and Sharing Costs” line item
🗸 Upon submission check all applicable application files in eRA Commons (e-Application; Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Plan; eSubmission-PHS Assignment Request Form; cover letter)
- Note: Unless indicated in the funding announcement, the Data Management and Sharing Plan is not evaluated at time of peer review but is evaluated prior to award. Although part of the official submission, when not considered during peer review the attachment is maintained as a separate “Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Plan” document in the grant folder viewable via the Status Information screen in eRA Commons. This document is viewable by authorized users and is not part of the assembled e-Application.
- FORMS-H Forms & Instructions
- Data Sharing