New instructions for electronic SF 424 (R&R) and paper-based PHS 398 applications are now available on the NIH Forms and Applications Web site for use with submissions intended for due dates on or after January 25, 2010.
With this information, you can begin writing your application. But make sure you return to the updated Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) or reissued Parent Announcement to read the new language and ensure a successful submission. Updated FOAs will be available at least one month before the due date: FOAs with due dates of January 25, 2010 will be updated in early December, and FOAs with later due dates will be updated by early 2010. A Guide notice will be issued when all the FOA updates are complete.
As each FOA is updated with new instructions and criteria, there will be two versions (the updated and the archived version). There is a link in the updated version to the archived version, and vice versa. For a period of time between now and early February, you must carefully select which version of the FOA and application package you should use:
- Electronic SF 424 (R&R) Applications. The new instructions are available at this time. As each FOA is updated with new language, the restructured forms will become available.
- For applications intended for due dates on or after January 25, 2010, use the updated version of the FOA and SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-B.
- For applications intended for due dates before January 25, 2010, use the archived version of the FOA and SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-A.
- If you are eligible for continuous submission:
- For Non-AIDS applications, use the archived version of the FOA and SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-A through January 24, 2010, and use the updated version of the FOA and SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-B on or after January 25, 2010.
- For AIDS R01, R21, and R34 applications, use the SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-A on or before February 7, 2010 and the SF 424 (R&R) ADOBE-FORMS-B thereafter
- Paper PHS 398 Applications. The new forms and instructions are already available, but you still need to read the updated FOA or Parent Announcement to ensure a successful submission.
For more information, or for a refresher, a 12-minute video explaining the major changes to application forms and instructions is now available. Additional information about new instructions and forms can be found on the Enhancing Peer Review Web site.