The Data Management and Sharing (DMS) Plan and Resource Sharing Plan are separate attachments that may be required for your application. One does not necessarily replace the other.
NIH has a number of sharing policies. The Data Management and Sharing and Genomic Data Sharing Policies have been hot topics of late, but there are also Model Organism Sharing, Research Tool, and other policies that may also apply. See Which Policies Apply to My Research?
Data Management and Sharing Plan
- Required for all applications submitted to funding opportunities subject to the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy
- Use new “Other Plan(s)” attachment field on PHS 398 Research Plan or PHS 398 Career Development Supplemental Form
- Address data management and sharing
- Address genomic data sharing (GDS) policy expectations when applicable
- Respond to any NIH Institute and Center or program-specific expectations related to data sharing outlined in the specific funding opportunity
Resource Sharing Plan
- Not always required
- Use Resource Sharing Plan Attachment field on PHS 398 Research Plan, PHS 398 Career Development Supplemental Form, or PHS Fellowship Supplemental Form
- Address other applicable NIH-wide sharing policies (e.g., Model Organism Sharing Policy, Research Tools Policy)
- For example, if you create a new model organism as part of your research, a Resource Sharing Plan must be submitted.
- Respond to any NIH Institute and Center or program-specific expectations related to non-data resources (e.g., software sharing) outlined in the specific funding opportunity
Please refer to the application instructions on the How to Apply – Application Guide page and the funding opportunity for additional requirements.
More information on NIH sharing policies can be found on the NIH scientific data sharing site.