As we approach the implementation date for NIH’s Policy on the Use of a Single Institutional Review Board (Single IRB) for Multi-Site Research, we would like to remind you of the resources available for understanding this policy.
The policy affects multi-site studies involving non-exempt human subjects research funded by NIH, and applies to grant applications with due dates on or after January 25, 2018 and R&D contracts in response to solicitations issued on or after January 25, 2018.
We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the single IRB plan, considerations in the selection of the sIRB, costs, exceptions to the policy, and where you should include this information as part of your grant application or contract proposal.
Visit the following resources to learn more:
- NIH Single IRB Policy for Multi-Site Research (Policy Webpage)
- Guidance on Implementation of the NIH Policy on the Use of a Single Institutional Review Board for Multi-Site Research (NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-18-004)
- Guidance on Exceptions to the NIH Single IRB Policy (NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-18-003)
- Frequently Asked Questions on the NIH Single IRB Policy (including questions and answers on costs, exceptions, and more)
- NIH Office of Extramural (OER) Webinar – “Single IRB & Exceptions Process“(webinar recording and materials designed for anyone interested in learning more about the implementation of the NIH Single IRB policy, including principal investigators, signing officials, research organizations or institutions, and institutional review boards (IRBs))
- NIH Office of Science Policy Page on IRB Review & Clinical Research